ACCESSIBILITY OPTIONS A A A

Latest News

01772 533 587
CONTACT US

Collaboration with other forces saves costs on new police vehicles

7 January, 2016

Lancashire’s Police and Crime Commissioner has welcomed news that collaboration with other police forces has saved Lancashire more than £100k on vehicle procurement.

The news comes after a consortium led by South Yorkshire Police undertook a procurement exercise on behalf of 22 police forces.

Lancashire will spend £5m in the next two years on vehicles but the new deal means better value for money for the force.

Vehicles will be supplied by Peugeot, BMW, and Ford following a competitive process held in line with European procurement legislation.

Some warranty work will be carried out in house and some by local dealerships. In addition contracts for accident repairs worth £200k a year have been awarded to three local Lancashire businesses helping to create or safeguard local jobs.

Fuel supply for the Lancashire force is also provided locally with all vehicles refuelled at local fuel stations.

Spare parts are provided by a Preston-based company and specialist vehicle role conversions will take place elsewhere in the North West.

Mr Grunshaw said: “By joining with 22 other forces our costs are lower than they would have been with each vehicle costing around £300 less than it would otherwise have done.

“The way we procure vehicles as a public sector organisation must comply with European legislation but when it comes to the maintenance and repairs we are pleased to be able to say most of these will be done locally, benefiting local businesses and helping to boost the local economy.”

The Commissioner continued: “Purchasing a vehicle is only around 31% of the whole life vehicle cost. The remaining 69% is channelled into the local economy for, fuel, parts, labour, repairs and conversion.”

Funding for the new vehicles has been provided from planned capital investment and will replace vehicles which are worn out and help reduce on maintenance costs.

Archives
Website Security Test